Tuesday 25 June 2013

Fennel Tea


Image Credit: Britanie Faith

Get ready to leave your green tea leaves on the self & embark on this new love of mine! Fennel tea! Yes, I have started falling in love with this new fennel tea. Having drank consistently for the past 1 month, I have noticed some improvements in my overall health, especially my eyes. This drink was recommended by my naturopathy practician and i bought it from him in fact.

Fennel has been historically used for medical & culinary purposes. Recognising the benefits of fennel tea, it is not surprising to see fennel seeds still being used in culinary dishes such as Malay & Indian cuisines in Asia. For Chinese cuisine, I rarely see my mother prepareing her dishes using fennel.  Fennel has this slightly sweet & savoury taste when you sip it, with a slight bitter aftertaste.


Benefits of Fennel Tea
  • Neutralises stomach acid, prevent heartburn.
  • Ease digestion especially when you have a full meal
  • Alkaline the blood
  • Improves eye conditions (something which i can strongly attest to. I have not experienced bloodshot eyes for a long time)
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Menstrual cramps
There are also countless benefits if you do a google search on the internet. Some benefits include "promoting lactation etc" which I, unfortunately, am unable to attest to that (young adult with no kids, unmarried). Therefore, I did not list them down on

When do i usually drink it?
For the past 1 month, I have been drinking fennel tea first thing in the morning. It awakens my liver and kick starts my bowel system in the morning. A common ritual done by many people has been to drink a warm glass of warm water with half the lemon. I find it harder to start my day with half the lemon. Just like any ordinary human being, I always wake up with my eyes half-opened. Groggily, i would walk to the kitchen, grab the sharp menacing knife & try to cut the lemon into half. Having realised the risk involved, i decide to search for the alternative. It has been recommended for fennel tea to be drank on an empty stomach. What good timing it would be to start drinking in the morning where your stomach is grumbling, hungry & empty? Simmer the tea bag/seeds into the cup of water while you shower & get ready for the day!

I would also drink the tea before i sleep. It helps to ease my digestion & helps my liver to function & heal well for the night. According to TCM, the liver and your eyes have a close relationship. Therefore, caring for your liver is the utmost important thing to do.

Of course, too much of a good thing may do you harm. Therefore, though i drink two cups of fennel tea a day, coupled with my chrysanthemum tea in the afternoon (how did i do that? i will explain next time), i will at times take a break. Some days, i will reduce my consumption. Or perhaps on one single day, i would not drink fennel tea at all. It takes some time to figure out what is best for you!

I got my organic fennel seeds (grinded i think) from Sebestian Liew Centre (naturopathic & phytotherapy centre). I forgot the price, unfortunately (Sorry!).

Hope that this post inspires you to start drinking fennel tea. Get going!

Do let me know if you have found other good benefits of drinking fennel tea!

Beautiful Day of My Life: Each day, I take positive step to improve my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment